Personally Pinot Noir is my favourite grape variety, it comes from many countries and has many styles, so there is always something new and exciting to sample.
Here are the top 5 reasons why you should drink Pinot Noir.
1) Some of the most esteemed and expensive wines in the World are made from Pinot Noir, most come from Burgundy but New Zealand Pinot Noir can also be on the pricey side.
2) It’s grown all over the World in a variety of styles, so there is always something to discover. You can enjoy Pinot Noir from Burgundy in France, throughout New Zealand and the USA, Romania also produce a lot of delicious Pinot Noir.
3) It is one of the three permitted grapes used in the making of the World’s greatest sparkling wine, champagne, only adding to the legacy of Pinot Noir.
4) It really is the perfect wine to pair with food. Simple, rich dishes are best and if you have a mushroom based meal then this will make it sing. Try to avoid overly spicy dishes as the intense flavour can overpower the wines aromas.
5) History! Pinot Noir has it. Evidence suggests it was one of the oldest grapes harvested for the making of wine. The ancient Romans were doing it as easrly as the 1st century. Blimey!